Being Prepared for a Storm
California Storm Preparedness
California may not be known for its stormy weather, but it can still experience flash floods, high winds, and excessive heat. It is important to be prepared for these events.
Flash Flood Warnings
Flash floods are sudden and severe rainstorms that can cause rivers to overflow and flood low-lying areas. If you see a flash flood warning, it is important to avoid driving into high water areas. Turn around, don't drown.
High Wind Advisories
High wind advisories are issued when sustained winds are expected to reach 30-35 mph with gusts of 40-45 mph or greater. High winds can damage roofs, uproot trees, and start wildfires.
Excessive Heat Warnings
Excessive heat warnings are issued when temperatures are expected to reach 100 degrees Fahrenheit or higher for several days in a row. Extreme heat can be dangerous, especially for the elderly and people with chronic health conditions.
How to Prepare
You can prepare for stormy weather by:
- Having a plan in place for what to do if there is a flash flood warning, high wind advisory, or excessive heat warning.
- Signing up for local alerts so that you are notified of any warnings or advisories.
- Having an emergency kit that includes food, water, first-aid supplies, and other essential items.
- Making sure your home is in good repair and that your roof is in good condition.
- Trimming trees around your home so that they are less likely to fall in high winds.
What to Do if You Have Damage
If you have damage due to a storm, it is important to call a professional restoration company like SERVPRO™. SERVPRO's trained and experienced professionals can help you repair your home and restore it to its preloss condition.
Call SERVPRO today at 805-507-5507 if you have any questions about storm preparedness or if you need help with storm damage repair.